Tuesday, January 29, 2008

mister ten, let's WAAAAARP!!!!

Back when I was 10 years old, my mother presented me with this fat magazine called "Ribon". It is a japanese monthly manga magazine for girls. Mind, I am still hooked to the thing. It is quite funny to see the lady at the japanese bookshop look confused as to why a 20-year-old would buy a magazine aimed at 13-15 year olds. I guess it keeps me young.

Anyway, back to the fashion part of the story. Back in those days, one of the stories that run there was Gokinjo Monogatari. It was about a girl called Mikako who went to a special arts high-school and wanted to become a fashion designer. The story wasn't my favourite, BUT she did influence me a lot. During those years I tried my best to dress like her.


She had influences from the 60s, used loads of colour and was overall funky. I remember finding platform shoes on a trip to France and wearing them non-stop (yep, I even went down the Eiffel Tower in them). I had a bright plaid blouse with white round collar neck that i would attach a polka-cotted bow to. I also remember getting some bright lime-green jeans from my aunt on my birthday.



Today I'm feeling very Mikako after viewing some episodes of the animated version online. And what, with all the cartoon inspired fashion seen lately (with Peanuts and Minnie Mouse. Let's not forget the Disney princesses getting their makeover) I shall make my trip to Sainsbury's in a very Mikako outfit. Out comes my 60s flowery mod dress, white shirt with long collar, thick white tights and loads of bright jewellery. If only I had a nice pair of furry shorts.... do I hear the sounds of an approaching DIY??

No comments: